Working with animals
Working with animals can be tricky sometimes! I am an equestrian myself and have had those "quirky" horses that need extra consideration. I am avidly into dog training and behavior and do a fair amount of dog sports myself! In running a farm, I've learned patience and subtle movements working sheep and when to be direct (like moving a know-it-all goose out of my space! Entrust photos of your beloved animal family to someone who is experienced working them! I am willing to work with ALL kinds of animals.
There are some expectations I do expect of my clients before the shoot however!
- Please let me know via my questionnaire or our messages if your animal has special needs (doesn't like certain sounds/smells, takes time to warm up to strangers, hates crouching, is blind/deaf, has movement disabilities, etc...). I will do my best to be ready for these and accommodate.
- Have your favorite treats ready- We may use them!
- Having a handler to assist is ideal, but not recommended. If you wish to have portraits without your animal it is required unless on your own property.
- I reserve the right to end the session or pause if the animal appears stressed or is otherwise in danger/poses a danger.
- You are responsible to maintain control of your animal.
- I can easily photoshop out a leash and prefer to use one if we are off your property.
- If your animal is uncooperative I will do my best to get the shot, but cannot guarantee specific shots. My animals are not great at posing, so I have learned some tricks to help us!
Working with horses
- Please have your horse lunged or worked in ADVANCE of my arrival. This ensures your horses head is in the game and we can jump right into your session.
- Bathe, brush, and braid your horse before my arrival.
- I will spend the first few minutes acclimating your horse to me, my gear, and my movements. I ask that you hold your horse while I test my flash and moving all around them.
- You may change from your show tack and clothes to more casual clothes during the session, have these items ready.
- For multiple horses do have an experienced handler available who knows your horses.
- Tell me what events you ride or practice and I will gather shots that capture the best of these disciplines.
- I prefer an outdoor arena for best light, if you only have an indoor please make me aware in advance so I can prepare lighting. Do have arenas ready.
- I am very comfortable around horses, however, if I deem the situation to be unsafe for myself, the horse, others, or the rider I will ask that we try something else or potentially end the session. I love trying new things, but safety is always my top concern! This will be at my discretion.
Working with Dogs
- Please have your dog groomed and bathed in advance of our session.
- I recommend giving your dog a quick walk or other mental/physical workout to get their head in the game before we begin.
- Do not be surprised if I do not immediately greet your excitable pup! I will once they calm down so I can reinforce that behavior for our session. It's natural to be excited, but we would like calm if we're doing portraits! The first few minutes I'll let the dog get acclimated to me, my gear, and my movements!
- If we are not on your property I prefer a leash be worn unless control can be displayed. I can easily photoshop this out.
- Tell me if you do any sports/events and I will gather shots that capture the best of these disciplines.
- I am very comfortable around dogs, however, if I deem the situation to be unsafe for anyone, including the animal, I will ask that we try something else or potentially end the session. I love trying new things, but safety is always my top concern! This will be at my discretion.
Celebration/End of Life "Rainbow" Sessions
Saying goodbye is the hardest thing we should never have to do. Your heart feels torn away. I understand these sessions are difficult for everyone involved (I get a little teary too). I will be patient with you and your loved one. Please let me know if this session is to celebrate your pet's life before transitioning across that Rainbow Bridge. There are discounts available on the session fee and there is no clock timer on these sessions (provided we can find a date that works for us mutually). Bring things that are special to your companion, don't be afraid to show emotion, and share stories with me. I want to capture your bond and hear the memories you've created. Let me know what accommodations to make, and I will make them. You will not regret having these photos, though they may be difficult.
Please tell me what makes your bond special, bring their favorite toy, your old show tack, photos of you in the past, bring a nice blanket to rest on. These photos will be about your bond, and the details that you love. If you love that little spot on your horses nose or your cat's toe beans then you bet I'm grabbing those details! I will laugh and cry with you as we celebrate a life well lived with your companion and partner.
If this is urgent do not hesitate to reach out and let me know. I will do my best to accommodate and payment plans are available for this product.